Friday, August 8, 2014

6 years later...doMMination continues!

6 years to the day, one day after turning 28, we were given the terrible news that there was some rare and incurable blood cancer detectable within my bone marrow. We were shocked, devastated and completely uneducated on the disease. So Cassie launched this blog to drive MM awareness and education to our friends and family.

At the time of diagnosis, we were told that 1 in 3 people live 5 years after diagnosis. Awesome.

Well, yesterday I turned 34 and today we celebrate 6 years of doMMination. Yesterday for my birthday dinner at Real Seafood in Ann Arbor, Cassie asked me what I have enjoyed most about the last year. I thought it was a great question because I very rarely reflect on the past.

So to help keep August 8 a positive day, each year I intend on recalling 10 things from the last year that made it great...in no particular order:

  1. Our Marriage - Cassie and I are coming up on 10 years together next month and our communication and understanding of one another is at an all time high. I hope to spend the next 10 years appreciating our differences. 
  2. Our Neighbors - We had a desire to connect more with our neighbors and it naturally happened. We live next to some real cool and interesting people. 
  3. Our Kids - I love children. They are so challenging, but so full of life and adventure. We are so fortunate to have three kids, all of which have very good hearts. 
  4. Florida - We had a blast both in Disney World and staying with my parents at Anna Maria Island. Cassie agreed by far that this was one of the best vacations our family has ever had. 
  5. Business - I had a dream of working for myself one day. In stead, I get to work with my best friend at Torrent Consulting. We have worked so hard the last 12 months and are excited to have grown a team of over 20 people, all of which are unique, talented and very fun to work with!
  6. New/Old Friends - We have made some new friends and rekindled old relations. These friends have taught me how to kick it back in the present moment and just have a good time. 
  7. Yoga - After many failed attempts to become a runner (my body just couldn't take it), a friend suggested I try yoga. I am not quite a yoggie, but I love it!
  8. Our kids' elementary school. It's walking distance from our house, and it's filled with amazing kids that are part of amazing families, with amazing teachers. We are one year away from having all three kids there!
  9. Michigan Basketball - I went on whim and bought season UM Bball tickets last year. I went to almost every home game. I wouldn't quite say I am a fan yet, but I believe in what the coaching staff is doing.
  10. Guitar - No, I don't play the guitar, but Cassie has been learning for the last few months. Seeing her come alive this year in her own way on her own accord has been beautiful to watch. The last six years have been very challenging for her and it's great to see her blossoming again!

So.....although last year was the year my Myeloma resurfaced, it was probably one of the best years of my life.

Cheers to another great year with Myeloma!

Phil

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Your journey reminds me why I doMMinate! Thank you.

Linda said...

I love how you have turned the anniversary of your diagnosis, into a time of counting blessings, seeing the glass half full, and recalling these 10 things that you enjoyed most about the past year! If we look, there will always be something to be grateful for...even with MM. Sounds like life has been very sweet for you, Cassie and your family, and that makes alot of folks very happy!

Anonymous said...

Excellent post - you are an inspiration!

Sandy said...

I am delighted to hear you continue to DoMMinate and that all else is going well with and for you all!

My SIL now has six years behind him and finally has been able to begin getting off all meds. We are hopeful...

Julie said...

Yay for all your happiness and success Phil, on all levels! Great post! So with all the significant "8's" in your life, I say you wear 8 of your MM doMMinate bands! Your family is beautiful and you'll have another 88 years with them :) Julie

Anonymous said...

Hello,

My name is Molly Silapasay, and I’m a project manager at a market research firm, watchLAB. We are currently working with a client on a research project involving individuals diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma and their caregivers. Our client is interested in learning about the challenges that patients may face, and possible ways to improve the lifestyles of these patients.

Interviews will last 1 hour, and we have different times available on April 13th. These sessions will take place in Downtown Chicago . As a thank you for your time, all participants will receive $250-$300.

If you are neither a patient nor caregiver, we are also happy to accept referrals. Those that refer a qualified participant will be mailed a $50 check.
If you are interested in participating, please do either of the following options:

• Send a reply email to molly.silapasay@watchlab.com. Please include your phone number(s), and the best time to reach you.

• Call 510-809-3108 and reference “Multiple Myeloma”

We have to ask a few questions over the phone to ensure that you are a good fit for the study, which should take approximately 10-15 minutes of your time.

Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you!

Unknown said...

Continue being strong.Newton Kenyatta University School of medicine

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That is very good that you enjoying your life as normal keep it up I hope you the best

Unknown said...

That is very good that you enjoying your life as normal keep it up I hope you the best

Unknown said...

It's obvious some patient with HIV are been enslaved to the antiviral and other supplementary Orthodox medicine just to help suppress the virus and not a cure. I have been with the virus since 2009 until I was introduce by a blogger who also narrated Her story online on how she was cured of Genital Herpes after using Dr Native Cure . This is a year and 2 weeks since I was delivered from HIV. All thanks to God for using this Great and sincere herbalist to heal me. I have promise to keep telling good about him. Please fill free to share Your problems with him and don't forget to tell him I did refer you to Him. Thanks. Write him on whatsapp or mail on +2349071799626, drogunrootherds@outlook.com

robert mary said...


WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Robert Mary
I’m a citizen of United Kingdom, My younger sister was Sicking of
breast cancer and her name is Robert Jane, I and my family have taking
her to all kind of hospital in UK still yet no good result. I decided
to go to the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I
find a lady called Sarah peter she was testifies to the world about
the goodness of a herbal man who has the root and half to cure all
kind of disease and the herbal email was there. So I decided to
contact the herbal man for my younger sister help to cure her breast
cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I
should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that
there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it
and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I
receive the cure that I am in UK, he told me
That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid
for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the
courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to,
before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a
dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very
happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5
million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my
I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now
here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any
kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact
Dr.ogididanspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2347067393105 for the cure, he will help you out
with the problems.

AQLChemical Products said...

The AQLChemical Products and its staff of quiet professionals is committed to delivering the most realistic, fundamentally sound training experience possible. Revlimid – Lenalidomide is used to treat anemia (low red blood cells) in patients with a certain type of myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS). Patients with MDS may have very low red blood cell counts and require blood transfusions.

How Much Does Medicare pay for Revlimid
REVLIMID for sale

Avastin or bevacizumab
HERCEPTIN – TRASTUZUMAB FOR SALE

IBRANCE FOR SALE
keytruda cost

what is neulasta used for
OPDIVO FOR SALE

WHAT IS RITUXAN (RITUXIMAB)
ZYTIGA FOR SALE

Feel Free to Contact for more information. Thanks