Thursday, March 26, 2009

Strides For Hope

My dear friend and neighbor Barb is the executive director of The Wellness Community of Southeast Michigan. The Wellness Community offers free information and services to cancer patients and their families. When we met Barb, her husband Brian and their adorable son Oliver we had no idea that Phil would be diagnosed with cancer 16 months later.

Barb has always been a great friend, but her experience with other cancer patients and their caregivers has made her like super-friend since Phil's diagnosis. She and her co-worker give me all the latest information that they find on Multiple Myeloma, including support groups and seminars. Barb also notices when I've lost too much weight due to stress and brings over awesome Middle Eastern food to fatten me up. And of course she has offered the services of The Wellness Community to our family, and I have assured her that we will take advantage of them the moment the need arises.

On April 25th, Barb will be running in the Strides For Hope marathon which benefits The Wellness Community. She asked me if she could run in honor of our family, and of course I was deeply touched. Because I am so inspired by and grateful for what The Wellness Community does, I asked Barb if I could post this here to try and raise some funds for her. All donations will go to benefit The Wellness Community. Below is Barb's email to her friends and family; I am posting it with her permission.

Hello friends and family,
As many of you know, I have decided to participate in Strides for Hope, a charity marathon training team that raises money for people touched by cancer through The Wellness Community. I will be running the Nashville Country Music half-marathon (13.1 miles - and I'm sure by the end that .1 will feel very significant!) on April 25th. This will be my first marathon event, and I've been training really hard to work my way up to that many miles!

Since this is a charity marathon, part of my commitment is to raise money to support The Wellness Community - a program that provides support, education and hope to people touched by cancer. I've had the opportunity to be involved with The Wellness Community for nearly 2 years now, and it is really such an amazing organization. The Wellness Community provides support groups, exercise and stress management programs like yoga, tai chi and meditation, and educational opportunities - all free of charge for people with cancer and their loved ones. I will be running the race this year in the honor of our friends - Phil, Cassie, Ocean and Iris Brabbs. Phil Brabbs was recently diagnosed with multiple myeloma. Phil and his wife Cassie have 2 kids - ages 1 and 3. Phil is healthy and energetic....and the last person you would expect to share news like cancer. Cassie and Phil are two of the strongest people I know....and the attitude they have accepted in facing forward has been incredibly inspiring. I could not be more proud to run in their honor. I have set a goal of raising $1,500 - and I am reaching out to you to see if you can help me reach that target.

I understand that not everyone will be able or willing to donate, but if you can contribute to my efforts, I would very much appreciate it! You can give online - this link will take you right to our donation page. Be sure to write my name, Barb Hiltz, in the "Designate my donation" field, and the money will be directed to my efforts. For those of you in the US, your gifts are tax-deductible.

Thanks for considering this everyone! I hope you are well,
Barb

No comments: