Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Time to Dominate some Lunges

I have been motivated to get back to the (home) gym thanks to Alysa down in Tucson, AZ who has set the bar VERY HIGH by demonstrating in her own effort to dominate 5,000 lunges while raising $5,000 for MM Research for a Cure.

I asked her what my baby step should be in not only joining her effort to Lunge for a Cure, but to Lunge for my Life! I realize that I have put my physical, mental and emotional body through hell over the last year and have not yet started the rehab process for my body. Yes, I did some runs, but since my second bone marrow transplant (BMT) over the last few months I have focused more on resting; zero on rehab. Now it's time to kick it up a notch, but only one or two. This is going to be a marathon, not a sprint (wow, I think I just used those words for the first time).


So seeing Alysa take on the World of Lunges (seriously, she just did 200 consecutive walking lunges) I am motivated to get back in game. So this morning I kicked things off with 3 sets of 10 lunges; per Alysa's recommendation. This is just a baby step, or baby lunge if you will. My plan is to expand the workout routine through the weeks and months to come, committing to at least 3-4 days of exercise each week. Wish me domination!

For those who need a positive lift in order to get out and start exercising, I highly recommend you follow Alysa's journey....it's so encouraging!!! She also has the most amazing husband who played baseball in the Pro's and at Oklahoma and the cutest two kids by the way :)

3 comments:

Daniel Fielding said...

Phil- I am a brain cancer survivor, and have been in remission for a few years. Was treated at the U-M Cancer Center, and at the U-M Neurosurgery Dept.
Whatever you do, please dont make the mistake I made. The chemo really did a number on me, plus, I didnt have any family support( I immigrated to the USA , alone, when I was 18, so, I have no family in North America.)
As a result, i let myself go physically. Physical fitness levels went to hell. As a result, now, in my mid-30's, I look and feel like a 80 yr old man, and the lack of fitness is impeding my full recovery. The physicians say that I have to get fit, os that my body can actually heal. Which is what I am tryin gto do, and it is reall ypainful and mentall yfrustrating process. So, please dont go downthe wrong path I went, andmake sure that you maintain your fitness levels.
You cando it, you are a syromng person.
Best of luck to you.
God Bless you and your wife and kids.

Daniel Fielding said...

To clarify- whet I meant is this- DOMINATE MM in every possible way!!! Beat it down, kick MM's A**. My mistake was that I lost sight of the end-goal, and let I allowed my cancer to beat me down and dominate me. And now, I have to deal with the consequences of letting the Glioblastoma Multiformae dominate me. Once in my life, I was a Div 1 athlete, now, i have a hard time walking 2 blocks.
Please dont let this happen to you

Preferred Customer/ Janice said...

Dear Phil et al, Glad you decided to exercise. It was recently stated that all cancer pts need exercise to get well. However at your stage perhaps you have not had the bone problems as many of us sooo. Lunging maybe great for you but remember you spine and other things bone may have been compromised. A light workout is great, start with walking, then add light arm and leg lifts with weights then go on to bigger and better things. Exercise is needed for the cancer patient but not everyone can or should be doing lunges. You were a super athlete so it is probably easier for you but please moderation in everything.
I started with walking then did light curves, but could not do all their stations or run in place, I have kept up increasing my movements but need extra Physical therapy as most of my bones were frozen, so seek professional help and someone who is very conversant with MM. Congrats to the gal doing the lunges. To Daniel your situation is different so just start walking and getting your bearings and graduate from there. Yes PHil we admire your efforts and courage and you are an inspiration. Take care j