Monday, February 28, 2011

1..2..3...4...5...Blast Off!

Today is an extra special day for us all. It was just over to 2.5 years ago when our lives were changed forever due to a disease known as Multiple Myeloma. I remember it very well. Rather than my life flashing right before me, I was troubled by the image of Ocean growing up without ever knowing his father and the devastation that could bring to his life. At the time of diagnosis, almost everything we read about Multiple Myeloma was doom and gloom. The life expectancy we consistently read about was 3-5 years. Below is Ocean a few months before we learned of my diagnosis which came on 8.8.08.



Well, we hardly believe those statistics any more thanks to aggressive therapy and new treatment options. Although, I do relish each additional year I am able to spend with Ocean, Iris and now Ruby. Ocean's birthday is pretty emotional for me because it is a reminder that I cannot take for granted my time with him and that it could be snatched up in a moment's notice. Today he turns 5 and although most people say, wow, time sure has flown...for me, I feel like the kid should be 10 by now given all that we have been through and experienced since he was born on Feb. 28th, 2006 in Concord, NC.


So cheers to Ocean today! This kid brings a lot of laughter and bright moments to our world that hasn't been all smiles; albeit he makes us forget. The kid has been smiling since day one and I am certain that nothing will be able to stop him!

9 comments:

Kindred Spirit said...

Happy birthday, Ocean, and may God bless you all!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ocean! What a great cake. :D

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday Ocean! That is a fabulous cake. :)

tim's wife said...

Happy B-day Ocean!!! Wishing you all a very special day! The years do fly. Our daughter was 8 when Tim was dx'ed. She's turning 13 on May 9th. It's all about Hope, Faith, and hand sanitizer. ;o)

Big EZ said...

Happy Birthday Ocean! I love your birthday cake.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, little buddy!

Sandy said...

There are so many things a guy can do when he is Five! And I intend and pray he learns all those and more so to move on to Six, Seven, Eight and all those other important years and doing it with Dad - for the highest and best good of all concerned...so be it and SO IT IS...whooooo! Amen

Linda said...

He's a NC boy...yippee on the big 5! The sky's the limit from here, and I see you two celebrating so many more birthdays together! Fun cake for sure...what little boy isn't fascinated by fire??

Prasanna said...

Dear Phil & Cassie:

We wish you countless more happy birthday celebrations with Ocean and rest of your family!

Best Regards,
LP