Monday, February 14, 2011

Do you like Myeloma?

"Do you like Myeloma..Daddy?" was the question that came from my four almost five year old son. I was totally caught off guard. One, because he pronounced Myeloma better than most adults, and two, the fact he even knew the word.

His question still has me in a tailspin. You would think the immediate response would be "NOOOOOOO!"...but that was not what came to mind. I am still caught up in this question days later and my thoughts are a little scattered....I just don't know exactly how I feel about Myeloma. Obviously I wish it would depart from this earth as early as yesterday, but I don't feel an angery/firey get out of my life now -type response.

Like any bumps in my life I tend to see them as redirection onto a better path and an opportunity to know myself better. I can say that Myeloma has definitely provided both redirection and many opportunities for me to better understand myself and those around me. Don't get me wrong, I am not "thankful" for the disease nor do I view it as a gift, but I don't hate it nor do I feel like I am in a "battle" against it. Weird...I know.

To set the record straight...Ocean was referring to Myeloma buddies...NOT the disease. I wish he would have told me that up front before my mind went down this rabbit trail to understand how I feel about my Myeloma. As for Myeloma Buddies....I think they are LEGIT!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

-Phil

4 comments:

Kindred Spirit said...

Out of the mouths of babes. It's all a gift, Phil, as you know; and the good God knows why you and myeloma have become so well acquainted: but He does know why, and that is the greatest consolation. You and your family are in my prayers. May God continue to bless you.

Anonymous said...

Redirection and an opportunity to know yourself better... I like that.

Thanks Phil.

Enjoy those kids.

Sandy said...

Myeloma Buddys are very special, whether the stuffed ones or the ones we grow to know on blogs... I would wish this disease away in a heartbeat, however.

Anonymous said...

I feel exactly the same and I thought I would feel more aggressive towards it - I'm not very fond of it when it physically stops me doing something and I have to ask B but mostly I'm pretty ambivalent. I sometimes wonder if it was curable and there was a target of five years to be declared myeloma free it may be different.

And of course I love Myeloma Buddies! :D