Thursday, February 17, 2011

I know, you like Cassie better

Ever since elementary school I loved creative writing. Unfortunately, I had a bad 9th grade English experience that ruined my perspective on my personal writing forever. The teacher seemed to have something against me and I felt very small in that classroom. My passion for writing disappeared to the point where I enrolled in the School of Engineering at U of M, not because I had a passion for math and sciences, but because I did not want to have to write a single paper in college.

But this post is not about me and the need for reconciliation with a teacher I had over 15 years ago, it's about how Cassie dominates writing and my hope to see her return to it. Even though her blogposts on MMforDummies get at least twice the comments as mine I choose not to get competitive about this matter because it's a battle I cannot win. Cancer on the other hand, I can handle.

Cassie is a complete rockstar writer. As most of you have discovered, she is hilarious, witty and can provide some very insightful and pragmatic advice. She just dominates. To tie this all in with our cancer journey, Cassie and I have realized that it is really important that she have a life beyond kids, cancer and picking up everyone else's messes. She was once an avid personal blogger, but well....cancer and MM for Dummies took over our that. It was cancer first, everything else last.


Over the last few weeks I have encouraged Cassie to get back to expressing herself in writing. She is slowly, but surely returning to informing the online world about her constant battle picking up the messes of the ones she loves most, while making people laugh and cry along the way. She is truly a gifted writer. You can tune in here if you are interested: http://spilledmilky.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

Lorna A. said...

Thank you Phil for being generous beyond the call of married duty. I don't for one moment think Cassie is liked more than you, the truth is probably closer to you tend to say things straight and I for one are often at a loss to think what to say. In light of the fact few comment on my posts recently, I have resolved to try harder to comment on everyone else's blogs, just so they don't feel forgotten.

Unknown said...

Tell her we miss her! She's the one that got me started in blogging!! Love her! :)

Anonymous said...

You two are the epitome of a tag-team domination team.

Sandy said...

Nope, don't like her better than you... just different. And I agree with masonryan, you are both dominating and showing people how to do it... keep up the good work!!

Linda said...

Love you both, though we have never met in person, and enjoy reading anything and everything you two write! Great team for sure.

tim's wife said...

Just wondering, did you get more comments when you were posting pics of your bone marrow biopsy site? ;o) Hee Hee

dubll said...

Phil, I am a retired teacher living with MM. MGUS dx in 2004 and took me well into full blown MM to get courage for bone marrow biopsy. Dx 2007. I apologize for the horrible experience you had with your English teacher from every wonderful, caring teacher in the world. What power to change a life we have. Look what one ignorant a** did to you. Be well. Another Linda

Cassie said...

Come on, Phil. No one who knows us both likes me better than you. NO ONE. Including my parents.

I love you all. And Denise-- haha! Good one. =)

Andrea said...

Keep on writing Cassie! You really are fabulous. :)

Megan Wolf said...

Stupid Ms. Maki, I wonder if she's still riding her motocycle around w/ her tatoo. What a fruitcake. You have a sense of humor all your own my man, no worries! (btw, this is Kirk)