Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stupid Cold

I caught a cold this weekend from my about-to-be 4 year old son. Major symptoms include headache and the inability to connect two thoughts in my brain. No cough, sniffles or sore throat at this point. I am hoping to be on the upswing, or at least enjoy the two back-to-back Dex days as a way to feel productive.

Not only did I catch a cold....but so did Ann Arbor. We got dumped with 8+ inches of snow on Monday. There's nothing like shoveling your snow-packed sidewalk after half the neighborhood has already walked on it. It makes me want to put orange cones up right after a snowfall or booby trap the whole thing. The only issue with the latter is that my 60-year-old single lady neighbor may fall victim to my evil ways while being moved by compassion to shovel our sidewalk for us. That would be bad...

Changing topics, we got dates for all the pre-testing stuff that needs to be done leading up to stem cell collection, and the timing of everything pretty much sucks. Our simple and very emotional response was "you've got to be kidding me." Chemo treatment ends on March 1st and we were told transplant would be around the the third week of April which coincides with our baby's due date. I am new to this part of the process, so I am trying to be patient and understanding, but they should have given me the dates when my eyeballs didn't feel like they were going to pop out of my head because of this cold. I still have some hope that we can condense the schedule and get things going at the beginning of April which would allow Cassie to be with me during and after transplant. More to come....

To end things on a positive note, I had a delightful conversation with a couple up at the Cancer Center today. They drive in from Flint, MI for treatment and are a joy to talk to. They are now sporting a couple of Cancer Kicker bracelets and their journey will be posted in an upcoming MM Mondays.

3 comments:

Kindred Spirit said...

Hope you feel better soon. I'm still praying for you all. Gesundheit!

Morgan said...

At Target the other day, we saw athletic shirts that said "Motivate. Dominate." Totally you!

sobug said...




Dr. Schell performed the first artificial lumbar disc surgery in the state of Michigan,
and along with longtime partner and prominent neurosurgeon Dr. E. Malcolm Field, Dr.
Schell currently plays a leading international role in the experimental development
of single-level and two-level artificial discs for cervical disk problems. They are
also involved with numerous other collaborative scientific endeavors to help advance
neurosurgical care.

Gerald Schell MD
Saginaw Neurosurgery