Monday, November 30, 2009

Phil is going Blue! But what shade???

















Like most chemotherapy patients, I too will lose my hair...eventually. Fortunately for me during the cocktail chemotherapy I am currently on my hair stays in tact and it's not until I move on to stem collection, high dose chemo and transplant do I lose my hair. The transplant will probably hit in January.

I see dying my hair as an opportunity to seek and explore my creative expression of self. Okay...really I just thought it would be fun and who do you know in corporate america that shows up at work with blue hair and spikes! I also decided to allow my facial hair to grow out which is something I have wanted to do for years; plus, it will keep me warm through this Michigan winter.

So now it is once again our readers turn to decide what hair dye I am going to need to purchase and I am open to bribes (e.g., buy 100 bracelets and your color wins...wink..wink). You can vote by using the poll on the right side of the screen. I am sure my friends at MMRF (Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation) are pulling for teal, which I think would be the most ridiculous color.

I am scared out of my mind to go in public with blue hair....just so you know. It doesn't fit my clean, down to earth midwestern personality...BUT nor does cancer...so there you have it. Blue it is.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I call for electric blue! But you need a very rich electric blue (not the watered down version). A friend dyed his hair electric green while in England and it was unreal.

Anonymous said...

Phil - When I moved to L.A. in the 1980's, I SO wanted to dye my hair purple!! Wish I had! Go for the most outrageous blue you can find!! Hey!! Maybe I'll dye my hair purple in solidarity ....

Unknown said...

I with both of y'all. If you are going to be a rock star for a month, go all in! I think we can make any of the Blues that get selected "electrifying."

LTB - now there's an idea. If people want to go all in with me, be my guest! I get to shave after a while, so just keep that in mind!

Jackie said...

just want to say a good mate of mine was diagnosed in the early 1970's and is still with us today and going strong!
Got to be electric blue! X

Anonymous said...

FROM LTB: yeah ... re: the head-shaving .... think I'll leave that to Bob. He said something about that at Thanksgiving. :) I'm sticking to the purple hair! So, let me know when the coloring begins!

Unknown said...

Phil, do you have a donor yet for the HSCT? Or is this autologous?

Unknown said...

We're looking at one or two Autos. Although I think I want to start looking into getting my four sisters tested for Allo matches in case we run into issues with my new marrow post-transplant. Actually, I need to get on this!!!

Thanks Mom and Dad for having a bunch of kids!!!!

Anonymous said...

Blue with maize wings. Go Blue!

Anonymous said...

Maize and Blue helmet style is the only way to go on this one. Good luck with your fight.